What is heuristic evaluation
Usability evaluation is categorized largely by one conducted with participants, and one without participants The evaluation with participants is called usability test, and with the test, we can check the issues of the product in the environment that is close to the scene where actual users use the product in the market, and the detailed analysis is possible as well. At the same time, there are some disadvantages such as, it takes time for the preparation and result analysis, and also needs to prepare evaluation target product with function and user interface that run to some extent.
The evaluation without participant is called expert evaluation or heuristic evaluation, and with this evaluation, instead of giving tasks to the participants, usability expert will operate the product, and points out the parts which users may get stuck. Even the function and user interface do not actually run, if the spec is cleared, then the evaluation to some extent is possible, and the evaluation period will be short. It does have limitation in accuracy of evaluation compare to the one with participants, but it is for filling in gaps of evaluation with participants such as, to break down the major issues in early stage of the development, or to check the effect of improvement idea for the found issues. It is an effective evaluation method when there is a desire to conduct relatively small size evaluation in short period.
- Actual equipment (product version, prototype), simulation, specification form (screen flow + functional specification) are possible.
- As a general rule, possible evaluation target for expert evaluation will be the product of category which we have conducted the evaluation with participants before. For other products, we are happy to consult with you.
- Basically, we will keep the evaluation target, and conduct the evaluation. However, if there is a circumstance where the evaluation target cannot be taken outside of the company, then it is possible to conduct the evaluation at your appointed place.
Standard evaluation method
- Decide assumed task.
- Decide assumed user.
- Evaluator will actually perform the assumed task. Along the correct procedure, extract the issues with the following perspective.
- Where will assumed user get stuck?
- What kind of falter will generate?
- When user skips the procedure or misunderstands the meaning of the display, what situation will one face?
- Will one be able to recover from error condition to correct condition by oneself?
- Extract the issues from each assumed task.
- When there are multiple assumed users, check the above for every assumed users, and extract the issues.
Your advantages upon your request to our company.
- The ability to image userís thoughts and behavior will be needed for the evaluator who conducts expert evaluation. Our evaluators are experienced in number of evaluation using participants, and have contacted with the condition of different users operating the products, as well as getting stuck during the operation.
- The evaluator will not check the specification based on the check list, but check the falters through the eyes of user from first to last, we can report the issues with contents that has more sense of reality.
Our past case examples
- Sports support device
- Portal site
- Internet printing service
- Storefront print terminal
- Job information site
- UI of digital camera